|Stasis Field Generator|
|First Found on||MedSci Deck (armory)|
|Requirements|| Strength: 3|
Heavy Weapons: 3
|Modification||2 (1st) / 4 (2nd)|
|Attack Types|| Stasis Freeze|
Stasis Freeze (Area of Effect)
|Summon Code||stasis field generator|
The Stasis Field Generator is a heavy weapon found in System Shock 2. This weapon fires multiple blue projectiles which are able to immobilizes most enemies. The projectiles themselves deal no damage.
An experimental device, the Stasis Field Generator was originally developed as a medical device - an effective, non-narcotic method to both tranquilize and immobilize patients undergoing major medical procedures. However, the military and security utility quickly became apparent to the TriOptimum executive corps. The generator can essentially freeze in place a target for a variable period of time. However, the stasis field uses a lot of power and its effect greatly decreases with distance.
The Stasis Field Generator requires Heavy Weapons skill level 3 and Strength 3 to use. No research is required.
|Prisms - Crystal prisms which are good energy storage mediums and allows the Stasis Field Generator to operate.|
- Stasis Freeze - It fires projectiles which temporarily immobilize a targeted enemy when the trigger is pulled. Each shot uses 4 prisms.
- Stasis Freeze (Area of Effect) - It fires projectiles which have an area effect and temporarily immobilize a group of targets when the trigger is pulled. Each shot uses 8 prisms.
- Upgrade 1 - Increases projectile speed by 100%.
- Upgrade 2 - Reduces ammunition consumption by 50%.
- This weapon inflicts no damage at all, and obviously cannot be used as a primary weapon.
- Keep in mind that Psi-Reavers are immune to this weapon.
- Cyborg Assassins should be the major targets of this weapon due to their high speed.
- The base duration of the freezing effect is around 8 seconds.
- Each level of the Heavy Weapon skill increases the duration by 15%. The Sharpshooter O/S Upgrade also increases it by 15%.
- When fully upgraded, the duration is roughly 14 seconds.
- Generally, the more a player knows about the game, the less useful this weapon is. If a player remembers exactly where each enemy comes from, he can be well prepared for each encounter and can draw out a weapon which eliminates threats.
- Another Heavy Weapon, the Grenade Launcher, can defeat any opponent except Rumblers in one hit at the moment one finally obtain a Stasis Field Generator. Hence, the usefulness of this weapon is limited.
- However, a Heavy Weapon user is likely to be running low of grenades on middle levels, which can be fatal on higher difficulties. The Stasis Field Generator allows the player to defeat tough enemies with a Pistol or a Wrench, which would be the beginning weapons of such a character build.
- A Heavy Weapon specialist is unlikely to spend many Cybernetic Modules on Standard Weapons. The Stasis Field Generator provides an inexpensive method to improve the effectiveness of them.
- This weapon does not have any reload animation and hence can be instantly reloaded. Use this to your advantage.
- This weapon shares its ammo with the Fusion Cannon, therefore a player should choose either of them as a secondary weapon. The Fusion Cannon provides one with direct fire power, while this weapon allows the player to make use of weaker weapons.
- This weapon, along with the Viral Proliferator, are the only reloadable weapons that do not have a reload animation.
|System Shock 2 Weapons|
|Standard Weapons||Wrench • Talon M2A3 .45 Caliber Pistol • Shotgun • M-22 Assault Rifle|
|Energy Weapons||Apollo H4 Laser Pistol • Mark VI Laser Rapier • Dual-Circuit EMP Rifle|
|Heavy Weapons||TC-11 "Brick" Grenade Launcher • Stasis Field Generator • Fusion Cannon|
|Exotic Weapons||Crystal Shard • Viral Proliferator • Annelid Launcher|
|Psi Weapons||Black Ops Psionic Amplifier • Psi Sword|