Standard Weapons type is one of the four weapon types in System Shock 2. It consists of four weapons:
It is also a combat skill in the game, and depends on the difficulties, one can normally specialize in 1-2 combat skills in a game.
Whenever a player upgrades a combat skill by one level, each weapon of the same type below that level gains a bonus damage of 15%. For example, when a combat skill reaches level 2 , weapons that required level 1 will gain a 15% extra damage, and weapons that required level 3-6 cannot get any bonus, of course. One should note that level 6 weapons will never obtain any bonus from combat skills.
Specializing in Standard Weapons
- Bullets, which are used by both the Pistol and the Assault Rifle, are the most common types of ammunition in the game, and the player can hardly run out of them.
- The above statement also applies to Rifled Slugs and Anti-Personnel Shotgun Shells used by the Shotgun.
- Shotgun Hybrids are guaranteed to drop at least one Rifled Slug when being defeated.
- The Pistol and the Assault Rifle can apply bonus damage to nearly every type of enemies, and hence will reduce the overall difficulty of the game.
- An Assault Rifle can take anything down in 5 shots.
- The Wrench is a useful tool to eliminate minor threats when it is too wasteful to consume any ammunition, and hence should be suitable to every character build. The Standard Weapons skill can greatly increase its power.
- No Standard Weapon can inflict area damage.
- Will degrade somewhat faster than comparable Energy Weapons.
|System Shock 2 Character Builds|
|Classes||Marine • Navy • O.S.A. Agent|
|Statistics||Strength • Endurance • Psionic Ability • Agility • Cybernetic Affinity|
|Technical Skills||Hacking • Repair • Modify • Maintenance • Research|
|Combat Skills||Standard Weapons • Energy Weapons • Heavy Weapons • Exotic Weapons|
|O/S Upgrades||Cyber-Assimilation • Cybernetically Enhanced • Lethal Weapon • Naturally Able • Pack-Rat • Pharmo-Friendly •|
Power Psi • Replicator Expert • Security Expert • Sharpshooter • Smasher • Spatially Aware • Speedy •
Strong Metabolism • Tank • Tinker