|First Encounter|| Engineering Deck (cutscene)|
|Weakness|| Anti-Personnel ammo (4x)|
Incendiary attacks (2x)
Anti-Human attacks (2x)
Imposed Neural Restructuring
Stasis Field Generator
|Loot|| Rumbler Organ (30%)|
no loot (70%)
Rumblers first start showing up late on the Recreation Deck, and are seen throughout the rest of the game. If you have Research skill and some Molybdenum, you can research a Rumbler Organ to get a 25% damage bonus against them.
This organism marks a further evolution of the first-stage Annelid Hybrid. Discernible human elements are minimal above the DNA level. In this stage, dense musculature grows all over the body, and the body undergoes massive development in all physical attributes, becoming a hulking humanoid monstrosity. However, the brain stem atrophies, and all control is provided by the cells of the body. The resulting creature is essentially a fast, tough, aggressive biological killing machine. Rumblers have what appears to be remnants of the former human faces on one of their shoulders.
Research performed on a Rumbler organ suggests that the body is designed to protect the hyper-developed, but yet unconnected brain for a further part of the life cycle.
The Rumbler is much faster than a creature of its bulk has any right to be. Try and find a sniping position where it can't reach you, or it will rip you apart within seconds. Since its form is mostly annelid, it is particularly vulnerable to High Explosive damage which is dealt when using Anti-Personnel ammo. It is also vulnerable to exotic weapons' Anti-Human setting and Incendiary attacks (both grenades and PSI powers, namely Localized Pyrokinesis and Projected Pyrokinesis). It's resistant to Armor Piercing bullets. Be prepared to use a lot of ammunition to take one down.
Rumblers are rare enough and show up late enough into the game that if you take care to save up on special ammo, they shouldn't be too much of an issue.
- Avoid combat if possible.
- Listen, you'll hear one before you see it.
- Engage at long to medium range.
- Use Anti-Personnel ammunition. Rumblers are, more than anything else, the enemies you should be saving up your Anti-Personnel ammo for. About four shots from an upgraded pistol using HE (Anti-Personnel) rounds and set to three round burst is usually enough to take them out (with the research combat bonus).
- Circle and strafe the creature if in melee range.
- Know your surroundings.
- If the blast is strong enough (such as that from a Grenade Launcher), the Rumbler will get momentarily staggered and stop in its tracks. Use this as a strategy for escaping while one is giving chase.
- Rumblers are the best targets for Imposed Neural Restructuring; their speed and strength make them powerful allies.
|System Shock 2 Enemies|
|Annelids||Grub • Grub Egg • Swarm Egg • Toxic Egg • Black Egg • Infant Arachnid • Adult Arachnid • Invisible Arachnid • Psi-Reaver|
|Pipe Hybrid • Shotgun Hybrid • Grenade Hybrid • Blue Monkey • Red Monkey • Rumbler|
|Security Camera • Maintenance Robot • Security Robot • Assault Robot • Protocol Droid • Slug Turret • Laser Turret • Blast Turret • Rickenbacker Turret|
|Cyborg Midwife • Cyborg Assassin • Red Assassin • Virtual Assassin|
|Bosses||Greater Psi-Reaver • Brain of The Many • SHODAN|