|Black-Ops Psionic Amplifier|
|First Found on||Ramsey Recruitment Center|
|Summon Code||psi amp|
The Black-Ops Psionic Amplifier is a device featured in System Shock 2. It appears to be a dark metal ball that has a small tube or wire lodged into the protagonist's lower wrist. The player can use it to cast Psi Powers to perform various actions, among them casting offensive projectiles.
The Psi Amp itself does not require any Combat Skill or Research. In order to use Psi Powers, the player first needs to unlock their respective Tier using Cybernetic Modules at Psi Upgrade Unit. After that, the Psi Powers under that Tier can be acquired and then used.
- Cryo Recovery B, east side room, on corpse
- Crew Quarters, first room east of lounge on north side, in desk
- Sector A, south end of middle connecting hallway of Cultivation Cells, on corpse
Developed by Esper Industries, a branch of TriOptimum military R&D division, this controversial device allows psionically able individuals to amplify and project their powers into the world. Before the development of the Psi Amp, Psionic Disciplines were mostly detectable only in a lab environment.
The Amp contains and inhibits the normal diffusion problems inherent in Psi phenomena. The Amp also allows the user to effectively channel their innate Psionic Disciplines to a number of powerful effects. This device caused furor in the Psionic community, primarily because of its obvious military applications, but also because of the Amp’s tendency to define Psi Powers along a few specific (and generally utilitarian) axes.
- The Psi Amp is the predecessor to the Plasmids in the BioShock series.
- Malone is mentioned as a Psionically-active crew member of the UNN Rickenbacker. His corpse, found on the Von Braun's Engineering Deck in Cargo Bay 2, is a subtle warning that a strong mind alone will lose to strong metal.